Sunday 22 March 2009

Occasional ants


This post is not so much about cleaning as it is about something I have observed in my house.

I have occasional ants. That's not to say that I occasionally see ants, but rather that I see the occasional ant, here or there.

There are no crumbs around, there is no water (it's hot like summer here despite our current season of supposed autumn). There is nothing for them to do. I simply see them walking around, as if they are but strolling in a pretty meadow. Perhaps an ant who came here once when there was food around thought it was a nice place to be. Perhaps he put up fliers in his hometown and sells maps to our place to ants who like to go on holiday. It might read "Are you looking for somewhere to go, away from the ant-race? One bedroom secluded getaway packages available for the adventurous ant. Call Tony, on 555-HOUSE-2-WANDER."

I can imagine them now, ants who just like to stay home and read, packing up their little rucksacks and climbing hills and crossing roads alone to get to our house, their little maps held out in front of them.

Don't get me wrong, I love having a guesthouse for ants. I love that they love coming here. What I don't get, is that I'm not getting anything of the profits. Little Tony's got it all set up and I don't know where to find him.

But gee they're cute, my occasional ants. I point them out to my baby daughter and hide them from my husband. If he saw them, he'd put ant sand all around the place. He'd ruin their getaway completely.

They're just our secret. You and me and my baby girl and the occasional ants.

2 comments:

  1. you know, I love this blog. I have also been de-cluttering and im going insane. the more i de-clutter, the more i realise needs to be de-cluttered! also, during my de-cluttering, i stored stuff in the study which has french doors (so u can see right in) and its a right mess in here!! Every day i say today....but that day will be 2morrow!! i promise!!

    kepp ur tips coming dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like it!!
    I know, it becomes addictive, doesn't it? You do one thing and then you think "but look over there, now I've got half tidy, half messy... I HAVE to keep going!!"
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Make your home a space that you'll enjoy being in